Sunday, February 8, 2015

hello mixed media

Got my CAS fix last week. Now I've been having some fun with ink, stamps and stencils. Ready?


Inked up a piece of CS with Distress Inks in ombre blue tones. Spritzed water onto my ARTplorations Hearts All Over stencil and pressed it down onto the inked piece. The water reacts with the ink and "bleaches" it, leaving the hearts the original color and the surrounding space lighter. Coolio. This is what Dyan Reaveley refers to as "ghosting".

Next step was to sponge more ink through the "love" word on my ARTplorations Hello and Company stencil in three corners and then stamp "love" from STAMPlorations Sentiment Builders: Love next to the sponged words.

Then I applied clear embossing paste through just a portion of my ARTplorations Shutters stencil. You can see it better here. Love the shine and texture, but it's oh-so-subtle.


To finish up my Valentine for DH, I heat embossed a sentiment made with Sentiment Builders: Love and attached snippets leftover from this card behind the black blocks. I added some funky red circles and glittery gold heart die cut negatives (from SSS Mini Hearts) for fun.

Now for less than subtle... This will be DD's Valentine.


Notice the lifted front panel and beautiful blending of pinks and reds under it? Still enjoying the Jocelyn O. and Joni A. thang.


And I revisited whitewashing, which I saw Jocelyn do recently. Can you see it? It's watered-down white acrylic paint brushed over my panel which I had created by first inking randomly through my ARTplorations Hearts All Over stencil in red, purple and pink Adirondack tones and then stamping over the stencil (and consequently through the heart openings) with a script text background stamp.  I love the effect the wash has on the dye inks, smearing them and softening the entire panel.

Notice the scrap in the middle with my heat embossed sentiment on it? That was from cleaning my stencil. I misted it with water, flipped it and pressed it onto scrap paper, getting this yummy negative! I couldn't resist incorporating it into my card.

A few metallic white embossing paste hearts, a couple gold glitter CS die cut hearts (SSS Mini Hearts), a tissue paper scrap, a strip of washi tape and some iridescent sequins finished off my card.


I'm playing with both cards at:
Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge - Bright and Beautiful
Craft Stamper Take it, Make it - February Stencils
SSS flickr challenge #12 - Sparkle (glitter CS hearts/negatives)
SSS Work it Wednesday - January New (my ARTplorations stencils)

and the second card at:
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #9 - Think Pink

Hope your weekend was great. Happy new week.

17 comments:

Susanne Vargas said...

Wooohooo! After your extrem CAS week you went all artsy today! Very cool! Love the colors on the first one!

Anita in France said...

Wow ... what a riot of colour and texture and interest, Maria ... so very cool! Anita :)

My Paper Epiphany said...

Love them both so much! The colours in the first card make my heart flutter!

Shelly said...

Two totally AWESOME cards! Love them!

Kara Lynne said...

Fantastic techniques on both cards! Love that first background, so gorgeous! The whitewashed background is amazing too! You went from CAS town to technique city with these two!

Shery Russ said...

Can't say much except AWESOME! You rock at mixed media!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

shirley-bee said...

Love all that layered stencilling! And those layers :) Thanks for sharing them at Take It, Make It too.

Rachel said...

beautiful cards! your family will love them :) Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Svenja said...

Die blaue Karte gefällt mir sehr - die Blautöne strahlen so richtig. Und die roten Kringel sind ein schöner "Knalleffekt" dazu.

Unknown said...

Love, Love, love! Both cards are beautiful!! Thank you so much for playing with us The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Renee said...

Love the layers! Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge.

Sid said...

Fabulous ! Loving your stencilled and collaged piece !

Linda said...

2 beautiful cards ..... great colour choices and I love all the layers. Thanks for joining in with the TIMI challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

Debbie said...

Pretty cards! Love the heart background on the second one. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Astrid Maclean said...

Such a lovely piece, love what you did, just gorgeous! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!!

Tracy said...

Beautiful and full of texture, so happy you joined us over at craft stampers Take it make it challenge xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...