Thursday, January 14, 2016

butterfly, my butterfly

I was truly inspired by the colors in the inspiration photo at The Challenge #56. And it was high time to get a card made for MIL's 80th! Meet my card.



I also wanted to play at City Crafter Challenge where the theme's "Butterfly, my Butterfly". Lots of beautiful inspiration there, BTW.

This was an experiment with Color Bursts. Cuz I stumbled across this video where Sandy Allnock  creates the most amazing painting with Brushos. When I grow up, I want to be an artist like her! Anyhoo, she inspired me to pull out my Color Bursts and this card happened. Why all that yellow is in there when I used orange... don't know. Why the blue got nice and smooth and the orange stayed blotchy... don't know - "... and miles to go before I sleep."

I inked STAMPlorations Happy Sunflower with Mermain Lagoon Distress Ink, spritzed it a few times and then stamped it on my watercolor paper when the Color Bursts had dried. I like how it adds depth to the design and creates a visual triangle with the Color Burst splotches.

The butterflies, die cut from vellum and white CS using Clearly Besotted Butterfly Wishes, were stitched down the middle, the wispy threads becoming their antennae.

The PTI sentiment was heat embossed onto a navy CS banner and the golden "80" from MFT High Rise Numbers were added to the flower center. Voila!

22 comments:

Suchi said...

Oh Maria! I loved that pretty background you created using color bursts! Such a gorgeous card, I am sure your MIL will love it! :)
Suchi xx

Ruth said...

It's beautiful! I love those colours and I love the butterflies sewn on. Lovely job with those Colour Burst - they really explode! Xx

Sarah said...

Beautiful colors !

Happy Dance said...

I'm going with 'light orange' instead of yellow! And this is one amazing card. Those color bursts look like they're a blast to play with. If I could convince DH to stay away from my craft room, I'd cover the floor with paper and go to town! This card turned out fabulously and your mil is sure to love this. That golden '80' is just the best dramatic finishing touch. Awesome card!! Bev

Karen B. said...

Simply stunning!

Jen W. said...

This is gorgeous, Maria! I like the bit of blotchiness in the orange - it adds a lot of texture.

SD pooja said...

Loved it !

Diane Jaquay said...

This is SO gorgeous, Maria, love the background you created, and the butterflies look like they're about to fly right off the card!! Thanks for playing along this week at The Challenge!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh it's wonderful! Your MIL will think so too I'm sure! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!

Marina said...

These delicate butterflies look fabulous against the bold splashes of colour. Wow!Thanks for joining in at City Crafter. Marina DT

shirley-bee said...

Love those delicate butterflies on the vibrant background!

Kim Heggins said...

So beautiful...love your wonderful butterflies. Thanks for joining us at The Challenge.

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

The color bursts are gorgeous! I don't think there is any difference between them and the Brushos. Only the name...

Chriss Blagrave said...

Gorgeous colours, Maria!

Loll said...

I'm in love with your card Maria!! Wow ... the orange and turquoise are amazing together. Love the white butterflies that are so airy and delicate. Your MIL is going to love this too! xx

Lesley said...

It's a stunner, Maria! LOVE that yummy background and the butterflies! Wowza!

Jinny Newlin said...

Ever so pretty, Maria! What a stunning, soft, luscious background, and I adore the vellum butterflies! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Challenge!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Hello Maria! So thankful that you were able to join us at The Challenge this week! Wonderful card, AMAZING design !!! I hope that you are able to join in again!!!

Bonnie said...

So pretty Maria!!

Unknown said...

such a beauty!!

Stella said...

A gorgeous card; thanks spo much for joining us at CCCB!

Anita in France said...

Swooning, Maria ... love that colour burst background ... gorgeous with those delicate butterflies ... and such a brilliant contrast with the bold gold numbers and sentiment banner! Hugs, Anita :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...